Unit 11 Europe Guided Reading
Interpreting Maps and Charts: Use the maps on pages 268-273 to answer the following questions.
1. Use relative location to indicate where you can find subsistence farming in Europe.
2. What is the most dominant type of land use in Europe? p. 272
3. Study the timeline on p. 266. At what point in Europe’s history did the Industrial
Revolution begin? Where did it begin?
4. Use the timeline to indicate what year the European Union was formed? What year did
Europe creates a unified monetary policy and currency? What is the name of the currency?
5. Using the map on page 272 which sea has abundant oil reserves?
6. Europe is a region which has many problems with environmental threats using the
map on p. 273 identify at least three countries affected by defoliation which is caused
by acid rain.
7. Which European countries are landlocked, or have no coastline? p. 270
We have previously discussed how maps change over time. Europe has many changes mainly due to outcomes of war and conflict. Use the map to answer the following questions.
8. What countries existed in Europe in 1914 or in 1935 but no longer do? What do you
think happened to these countries?
9. Compare the political map on p. 270 to the Europe 1935 map on p. 271, list the new
countries which exist today that did not exist in 1935? What events occurred which may
have influenced the creation of these new independent countries?
10. Use the map on p. 272 to determine what energy sources are prominent in Europe.
Physical Characteristics pgs. 279-289
1. Europe is a very large peninsula made up of smaller peninsulas. What is the name of the
larger peninsula? (hint: it includes two continents) Name the smaller peninsulas and the countries within them. p. 281-282
2. Name three countries in which the Northern European Plain is found.
3. Name three major mountain ranges in Europe.
4. The continent of Europe has several islands. Name the islands of Europe.
5. The Pyrenees mountains are a natural border between which two European countries?
6. What is responsible for making Western Europe’s climate milder than that of Eastern Europe? p. 286
7. What kind of climate is found in the central part of the Iberian Peninsula?
8. Which part of Europe is dominated by humid continental climate?
9. Describe the marine west coast climate which dominates most of Western Europe.
10. Which narrow waterway separates the two continents of Europe and Asia and connects the Mediterranean Sea to the Atlantic Ocean?
Economic Characteristics: Use pgs. 274-277 to answer the following questions on the Economic Characteristics of Europe.
1. Which three European countries have the highest GDP (Gross Domestic Product)?
2. Which three countries have the most area per square mile (land size)?
3. Find the four countries which have the densest population per square mile.
Use the information on pgs. 325-335 to complete the following questions.
4. What are some of the major economic activities practiced in Europe? Give specific examples used in the text.
5. Where in Europe are the two main industrial centers? What mineral resources can be found there?
6. What transportation systems do people use in Europe rely on? Based on this what would you say about the infrastructure is it strong or weak?
7. How important are Europe’s seaports and waterways to its economy ?
8. What country in Europe is a leader in international banking and insurance along with the United States?
9. Read Sec. 4 pgs. 313-317 on Eastern Europe. What are some major differences in Eastern Europe’s industrial development in comparison with the rest of Europe? What is the main cause of the difference?
10. Why was the European Union created?
11. Use the textbook glossary to define the term “welfare state.” Briefly explain how important the role of government is to education and healthcare in Europe.
Culture pgs. 292-315
1. Where did the ideals originate that laid the foundation for western civilization?
2. Europe is known for its diversity of ethnic groups; briefly explain how the diversity of ethnic groups has shaped population patterns in the region?
3. Use the textbook glossary and index to define the following terms.